Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Make the screaming stop

I had a thought about Linkin Park today. First a little background, I don't own or have ever really listened to linkin park mainly because i'm listening to bands totally different and I don't listen to the radio ever. If I do it's usually Mike and Mike or NPR. Anyways, I was driving to lunch today and didn't have the ipod with me so I turned the radio on and the song "Bleed it Out" (I think) came on from the beginning. I initially liked the beginning because it was different as it involved people clapping in the background and a guy rapping. Of course I like this because I like using all sorts of different instruments and experimenting with them, including everyday things. I also liked the old school rap because I was a huge (still am) Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul fan...I grew up listening to them a lot and stick with that rap style. Anyways, it was going pretty well and keeping me interested until the other lead singer started yelling the chorus and continued to make it worse beyond that. Soon it overshadowed the decent hip-hop that they had going on and made the song un-listenable.

So my thought is this. Even though I've only heard a few songs by them I think they would make themselves a better band if they got rid of the screamer. Nothing against Linkin Park because they are very popular and have done some big things in there music genre (which I think is hip-hop/electronica/experimental/screaming), including pushing their instruments past what is normally done, it just isn't up my main alley of music. Your thoughts?

To add to my background as a music lover, I try and appreciate all types of music before rejecting it so I'll give most everything a try...except Hasselhoff. So my musical likings come from all different types of genres and I never tie myself down to one. Plus genres change with a new artist everyday. Just look at what they classify Iron & Wine as: folk. My impression of folk is Peter, Paul & Mary and I'm pretty sure I've noticed a difference between the two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tribe and De La? your stock just went up. maybe i'll start listening to some of the bands you recommend.

Live Tyler said...

If I told you I listened to Robert Smith and the Cure before my teenage years would my stock go up even further? (remember I was a 1980 birth...i credit my brother since I think he was Robert Smith in one phase of his life)