Monday, December 15, 2008

Rolling Stone's Top 50 Albums - What in the world?

Okay, so I know this is list overload and I"ll stick to my normal sites like Stereogum and Pitchfork but I was looking through Rolling Stone's Top 50 Albums list and noticed a few terrible descrepencies, mainly:
40 Jonas Brothers - A Little Bit Longer
39 Taylor Swift - Fearless
12 Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (can it be that good?)
03 Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

So, my thoughts: Jonas Brothers? I know Rolling Stone covers more than just indie or alternative music but honestly do they have to go out to the world of tweendom? This is not a case of being fair to all genre's, this is a case of trying to cater to tweens; their future subscribers.

Fair is when you put in a "country" (country is not the country of the days of old) star. I have no comment on her other than Rolling Stone has gone too far with their fairness. If they had wanted to be fair and put in country than there are far more artists that are pure country that could take this title...mainly the ultra talented Brad Paisley. I'm not a huge fan of country (not really any besides Johnny Cash) but I appreciate some of their talent and he has to be top...plays very great lead while singing, very impressive.

GNR: I'll admit, I was a huge fan when I was an early teen in the 90's and I'm all for them releasing another album...if it was 1995 and this kind of rock was not past it's ridiculous stage. I've listened to the album and it's brought back nostalgic feelings, but it's just too late, I'm onto indie and such...

Lil Wayne. I know he broke selling records and had a huge album in the rap world and for that they had to mention him...but I don't agree. I've listened to his stuff on talk shows and SNL and it annoys me. Then again I'm a huge fan of real rap, read: Run DMC, De La Soul, Tribe, etc... His isn't the rap I know, his is annoying and it doesn't make any of my lists.

Venting, accomplished. The rest of the list is fairly decent with Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Cold Play, Dylan and Fleet Foxes. Wait, why is John "Cougar" Mellencamp at number 5?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's more to the world than indie-rock. Grow the fuck up.

Live Tyler said...

Mr. I didn't leave my name,
You're absolutely right, there is more to the world than indie rock. If you've ever browsed this site you would notice that. But instead you came on this site and commented on one post that I made where I trashed a list that favored some artists that are not good and are instead just acts produced by someone making money, aka the Jonas Brothers. Taylor Swift, I hear, is a good talent in the country world, but I am not a fan because it's not country, it's country pop. Lil Wayne is not my kind of rap and I don't think he embodies what Tribe and Run DMC had in mind for rap. I'm all for going outside the normal and in fact I like things there much more but with Lil Wayne I'm not sure what he's doing. Maybe I don't understand and he deserves a second chance. He had a great year though, so I'll give him that. He's just not going to get much from me on this site.

I am not just a fan of indie rock, in fact that's not even my favorite style. I span many genre's and never stick to one. Click on the tag for "new artist discovery".

Don't cuss on my site ever again. Other than that thank you for your comment, I hope you leave a more mature one next time.