Thursday, October 16, 2008

Update - Ray Lamontagne album "Gossip in the Grains"

Since posting the review of his latest album I had a chance to listen to it and I am very impressed. Never before has he combined so many great and different sounds on an album without straying away from who he is. "You Are the Best Thing" is his upbeat soulful sound, "Let It Be Me" is his classic lonesome song, "Sarah" is a great change of pace but sticks with his somehow upbeat relaxed style and also features a mandolin so I love that. "He Me, Hey Mama" features the banjo and a southern blues sound that he's never done before. "Henry Nearly Killed Me" is an upbeat bluesy song that comes across very well for being different from his norm. Finally I wanted to highlight two bonus tracks on iTunes in "Empty" and "Be Here Now" both live recordings and both great. Those are two of my favorite songs of his and I'm glad they including them on some album. "Empty" has this sounds that puts me in this great longing mood every time I hear it...so good.

Do yourself a favor and go to iTunes and take a listen. You might just be buying his album after you do. I did.

1 comment:

tenaciousglee said...

I bought it yesterday. I forgot to tell you at CG. I dig the banjo and love that he wrote a song for Meg White!