Friday, June 20, 2008

Avett Brothers Alive


Last night I saw the most entertaining concert I've ever seen. No question about that. I saw the Avett Brothers at the Attucks Theater in Norfolk. Since I write like I talk and can't form a decent sentence I figured I would state my disjointed thoughts and facts about the show. There are so many aspects of them as a band that make it an incredible show...here are some:

1. It will be the most entertaining show you'll ever see.
2. You have no choice but to smile the whole time or look on in awe.
3. The brothers have two unique voices but have the ability to sound the exact same.
4. They do not have the ability to stand still.
5. They only have the ability to dance or move in noodly fashion.

6. The brothers are incredibly talented and each play the following: banjo, guitar, drums, keys, vocals
7. Scott Avett broke 14 strings between his two banjos.
8. This is the most unique band you'll ever see
9. They have defined a musical genre that no one has ever done and probably will never do. As Gregarious described it: "Killers arena bluegrass rock"
10. It is near impossible to remain seated.
11. The brothers harmonies will make you have goosebumps when heard live: (this doesn't do it justice but it's the best i can find online, see exhibit A)

12. Scott Avett plays the kick drum while playing banjo, Seth Avett plays the high hat while playing guitar...never seen that done.

13. They are great songwriters and convey their message to the audience very well.
14. Their music in the studio is very good but you will gain a true understanding and will get a true listen to their music at their live shows. You almost don't have the ability to understand or hear their music until you hear it live. I know that sounds snide but I've listened to them for a while before hearing them live and now that I've heard them live I have a true understanding for their music. I guess for the most part that makes sense with most bands but put together their personalities, their ability to interact with the audience during the song, their raw talent, and their incredible energy and you've got the whole package of understanding the real avett brothers.
15. They dress like old bluegrass hillbillies.
16. Scott Avett tunes his banjo midstrum and midsong.
17. They play incredibly upbeat songs and then when you least expect it, play a heartwarming slower song. I typically don't like slower songs, but I dug every one of theirs. (see exhibit B)


18. They play to the audience more during the songs than between their songs
19. That's enough.

If you have the chance go see their show. This was truly the most entertaining concert/show I've ever seen and probably ever will. I used to think Dave Matthews was the best live touring band but the Avett Brothers blows them out of the water. They even beat Robert Randolph and the Family Band's energy, which is a large feat considering he too doesn't know how to stop moving.

Great great show, go see them, you won't regret it. I even think if you don't like their music you will like their show. I put my guarantee on that.

No comments: