Friday, June 27, 2008

What are they oooooing?

So I was watching the Germany and Turkey Euro 2008 game the other day. Before the game started I heard the crowd chanting with "ooooo's" to a familiar rhythm that was playing under the crowd noise. This included both the Germans and the Turks "ooooo"ing all together. After a few minutes I realized it was "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes. How has a hit rock song in the US become a unified chant at a multi-national mainstay sport, a sport which is way more popular than American football? You would guess that the Germans would be singing a German anthem and the Turks a Turkish anthem, but no, they've agreed and both know the US centric song "Seven Nation Army". I guess the White Stripes have invaded Europe like the Beatles invaded the US. If that's true I'd like to pick a new candidate to bring American music to European soccer matches.

No comments: