Thursday, June 5, 2008

Love It Live

In honor of our multiple posts about Eric Hutchinson's show last weekend, I present the following question:

What's the best concert you've ever been to or your favorite band to see live? Feel free to post a comment below and include venue, opening acts, reason why it's the favorite, etc...

I have several favorites:

My favorite band to see live is Guster because I know all their songs and appreciate their talent, but also love how they interact with the crowd.

My favorite concert was back in 1994 or 1995 when I saw Eddie From Ohio open for Vertical Horizon at the now-defunct Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC. It was the first time I had seen EFO and they were a perfect opener. They got the crowd excited and ready for VH to rock.

Favorite "folk" show - Nickel Creek at The NorVa - they demanded a quiet crowd and waited until they got it. That was a cool experience.

Favorite "rock" show - The Raconteurs at The NorVa - I was a big Brendan Benson fan, but never got into The White Stripes. Their team-up produced an excellent live show.

There are others, of course, but now it's your turn...

3 comments:

Sara Beth Roberts said...

My favorite concert was when my Gran took me to see M.C. Hammer in the 6th grade...she brought along ear plugs. Also, I saw the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Tour in NC, but I did not know much about the band...I was totally hooked on the people watching though and there was a lot of beer consumed--made for a good night. Another great show was Shane and Shane at the big church in Norfolk--maybe my favorite, but it is hard to beat Amos Lee and The Hutch because Sarah and Greg were there with us...

Sara Beth Roberts said...

By the way, I did not consume the beer (I was in middle school I think) but the people I was watching did...just to clear that up!

Live Tyler said...

I'll have to break this one up in venue sizes:
Favorite large venue: (also favorite show ever): Dave Matthews Band on New Years Eve at Hampton Coliseum. My good friend got us in early so we picked seats up close and got to see the sound check and what happens before a concert. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones opened up for them. They basically played an entire concert, then Dave Matthews and the band came out, played a hour and a half set, then everyone in the place counted down to the new year and a second after the new year, dave matthews band and bela fleck and his band came out and played for over an hour together. So much talent on that stage, it was truly amazing.

Favorite small venue show: 2 Skinee J's opening up for 311 in a burned out warehouse in a bad part of Southeast DC in 1993. Myself and two other friends, we were all in middle school at the time, got dropped off my one of our dads into this old once burned warehouse in the worst part of DC. This was back when 311 was unheard of and the following year blew up in the DC area. 2 Skinnee was fantastic and 311 was amazing.