Thursday, August 28, 2008

Album Review - Xavier Rudd "Dark Shades of Blue"


Allmusic recently reviewed Xavier Rudd's latest album "Dark Shades of Blue". They chose it for one of their album picks and gave it 4 out of 5 stars...pretty good in my opinion. I wrote about Xavier Rudd a while back and I really think he's going to come onto the scene and be pretty popular, at least in the acoustic/aussie folk/surf rock world. I haven't yet listened to the entire latest album but I tend to trust allmusic's reviews so I'm excited they picked this album as their AMG Album Pick. The only thing that I'm tentative about is that he went a little more electric on this album instead of staying his aussie folk/reggae/acoustic style. But that's not going to stop me cause he's great either way. From the review:
Dark Shades of Blue is special, and unique to Rudd's catalog. First off, it's an electric record, full of barely contained squalling guitars, percussion, and a more textural approach to recording. That said, it's hardly a sellout; in fact, given how comfortably he inhabits this terrain, this may be the record Rudd has desired to make for a long time.


You can preview five of the tracks on his site.

Guku and Edge of the Moon from "Dark Shades of Blue"


One of his older songs "Let Me Be":

No comments: