Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Where do I start? - Joe Purdy


Joe Purdy is the prime example of why I'm doing the "Where do I start?" posts. 8 albums that span 6 years makes it hard to know where to start. Seriously, with Joe Purdy all of his albums are so good that you can start anywhere. I don't say that about many artists, so I mean it. He currently has 8 full length albums (including a new one this year): "Canyon Joe", "Stompin Grounds", "Take My Blanket and Go", "Paris in the Morning", "You Can Tell Georgia", "Only Four Seasons", "Julie Blue", and "Sessions from Motor Ave.". Quite daunting if you'd like to get started with him. I spent a lot of time exploring his albums when I first heard of him. I realized they were all good and I couldn't go wrong. He's that consistent from album to album. But if I was to name one good album to start on (and purchase) I would go with "Only Four Seasons". It features the songs "The City" (my favorite song of his), "Why Do I", "Come Back Down Joe", "Laughing Man" and other great songs. I think it's a fantastic album and will give you a great place to start with this heavily recorded and great artist.

By the way one of the best parts of his website is that you can listen to every single one of his songs in full length. Click on the album and a player will pop up. Makes me like him even more.

1 comment:

logankstewart said...

I was searching for Joe pics to include in my blog, and I came across this piece. Such a fantastic musician, eh?