Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Back in the Day

Today I remembered my roots of rap; De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest. They, along with Run DMC, were the kings of original hip-hop. De La and Tribe took the prize for me though. I got kind of sad in the realization that rap isn't the same flowing and inventive rhymes it used to be. I was hoping that Kanye West when he first came out with "Through the Wire" was going to bring it back but he didn't turn out to be the one. De La and Tribe also gave me my first rhythms that still exist in my head today. Although I'm not into rap/hip-hop anymore, due to it's changed landscape, I still have a big place in my ear for De La and Tribe and the influence they had on my music today, even being as indie as I am. Here's a little sample of the best hip-hop has ever had to offer:







Fast forward 15 years and notice the difference in the style. This is some of the best rap has to offer us today, which is good, but not near as good as the originals. There is nothing like De La and Tribe, nothing. Aaron can attest to this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really can, and do, attest to all this.

jayandcourtney said...

as greg can confirm, Tribe was usually playing out of the speakers back in high school ... like you said, kanye is good ... but no tribe, no dmc ...